I can't tell you how many times I have heard "think rich and you will attract money to you." How many books do we have about "how to get rich" or "10 quick steps to be rich?"
Is rich minded a good thing? Is it good to focus on being rich? Well, there's nothing wrong with being rich but from my research of the scriptures, I have found that rich minded is not a good thing. Read more about rich minded in my blog "Is Rich Minded The Opposite of The Poverty Mindset?"
Well, the question arises....is it okay to be rich? Yes, poverty is not a requirement to follow Christ. Many people argue this point from 3 scriptures:
1. 1 Timothy 6:10 KJV- 10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
2. Matthew 5:3 NIV- "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
3. Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
We miss two vital points in these scriptures. Love of money means to worship money. The worship of money is the root of evil. Not money. Is money evil? No money itself is not evil and having money is not evil. Many people fail to read the remainder of 1 Timothy 6:10. It's what you make your god that makes it the root of evil. Remember everything flows from the heart (Proverbs 4:23 NIV). And in Matthew 5:3 NIV blessed are the poor in spirit. This does not refer to the financially poor.
Jesus told the rich man to go sell his possessions and give to the poor in order to free him from his love (worship) of money. Because the rich man put his faith in money it will be harder for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than into heaven. Also, does not mean we cannot be rich?
When we seek God and live a life of worship unto Him, he will supply all we need and want. He gives us the ability to enjoy our wealth...this is a gift from God (Ecclesiastes 5:19 NIV). So being rich minded or having a poverty mindset will not make you rich spiritually. Seek God and all other things will be added unto you, Matthew 6:33 NIV. And live in His abundance John 10:10 NIV! The abundance mindset is the way to go!
"Is Richmond the Opposite of The Poverty Mindset?" Watch the video:
- How can we tell if we trust money more than God?
- What is rich minded?
- What is the poverty mindset?
- What is the abundance mindset?
- Do you have favor with God?
- Can you ask God for help at any time?
- Do other's people's thought about money impact you?
- How do you move past what others think to accomplish your budgeting?
- Do you have freedom in budgeting?
- Do you think rich people don't have to manage money?
email your responses to firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to connecting with you!