Accountant or Financial Manager What I Do
Accounting involves gathering, organizing analyzing, planning, managing, and guiding cash flow (stewardship). We help you create and organize your business with a process that creates a better workflow ( also called business optimization) for you to increase profits. Time is money we help you eliminate or add in more beneficial and productive activities for you and your business(s).
- Track Sales – Create your invoices in the accounting software. PayPal Invoices must be manually created for proper tracking and reporting of sales and use tax.
- Collect Payments- most merchant accounts can connect to the accounting software. Allowing the client to pay online and manage invoice collections. The software can be programmed to send out invoice reminders reducing the cost of additional collection processes. You can also track cash and check payments via your software.
- Track Bills (incoming)- Enter the bill you receive from outside vendors. However, if you purchase items you track in inventory you will begin with the Purchase Order and then create the bill. Using a purchase order will also confirm all items are received show what was canceled. Receiving items and then paying the bill. (Bill’s payments due later.)
- Track Bill payments (outgoing)- paying the bill reflects the account used to pay the bill and will match to the bank downloads.
- Track Spending (Receipts Tracking)- Using your bookkeeping software or an expense app to faster scan in receipts or adding receipts at the beginning of the day from the previous day or at the end of the day will help make receipt tracking easier. Expenses
- Payroll Processing and payments (employees only) – payroll software- Today just the net pay is record in the bookkeeping software unless your software connects to pull in the journal entries. Bills are created for taxes due, but most people pay taxes as they go creating an expense instead of a liability (money owed).
- Create and track contractor payments. (paid as bills) – paid as bills.
- Calculate and determine net profits by calculating profits from bookkeeping.
- Track Financing income and spending- only a portion of the overall picture. Uses net profit earned from operations and after taxes. Often does not reduce taxable net profit unless used for approved investment vehicles.- This is the job of the financial manager or advisor normally.
- Enter in a track business income and spending - called cash flow management in your software. Your accounting software is your central data hub.
Your software handles the bookkeeping processes from operations to bring this information together for your accountant. If you do not use your software to initiate transactions, you will need to hire a bookkeeper if you do not plan to do the work yourself. However, you will still need to send them all of the source documents so they can properly add them to your software. Although the information downloads from the bank it must be categorized and classified and monitored. The accountant reviews the entries to make sure they are correctly applied and the process for creating the reports.
Your Accountants Part
The accountant uses the information for report analysis, budgeting, planning, estimating, and planning taxes, compliance reporting.
Compliance reporting - file business reports like the annual reports, sales and use tax, employment tax reports, or reports for financing activities such as loans and other data for external reporting.
Review and analyze.
Review and analyze reports creating from bookkeeping to help you grow your business(s), maintain, and manage taxes, budgeting, planning, or often called forecasting, tax planning, inventory management, and planning.
- Example: Are you offering a profitable product or service? What is your gross net profit?
Create and Organize Business Processes for Optimal Performance
Plan and create plans to organize your business using the bookkeeping process above but not performing the bookkeeping processes.
Train the business owner(s) on how to use specific software for accounting and other applications to optimize and meet accounting processes.
There is so much more that we do but I have chosen to focus on the above information to help best manage and create a sustainable and profitable business.